wednesday, february 18

Adali feeding4
ohh the neverending feeding issues with adali.  for as long as i can remember, we have had to give adali her bottle after she has fallen asleep.  they call it sleep eating.  you often times have to do it with preemies in the middle of the night to get a bit of extra calories and nutrients in them.  our pediatrician has said that he has never seen it where you had to do it every.single.time. you give a bottle.
there is an art to how you make this work too.  she must be cradled in your arms with her paci and since she can't keep her paci in by herself, you have to hold it.  you then have to wait for her to fall asleep and quickly switch out her paci with her bottle.  if you don't make the switch quickly enough all bets are off, she will wake up and you have to start the entire process over again.  there is also a very fine line between not enough asleep and too asleep.  if she isn't asleep enough, she will cry and spit the bottle out and once again, you need to start from the beginning.  if you let her fall asleep too much, she will just lay there and not take the bottle at all.
i know what you are thinking…we're crazy.  i swear we have tried many times.  when you try, she looks at you like you are forcing acid into her mouth and immediately spits it out and turns her head away.  i have tried to let her go without a bottle thinking if she gets hungry enough she will take it awake.  nope, she would rather go without it at all than take it while she is awake.  i can only assume that she might associate eating with the pain she felt from her severe reflux.  either that or she just likes to eat while sleeping.
we've managed to make this work and it really isn't that big of a deal anymore since she only takes a bottle about 4 times a day.  but the problem lies in the fact that since she has never taken a bottle while being awake, she looks at it like it's a foreign object.  i know, i know…you are saying who cares if it's working for you.  BUT, it makes the transition to a sippy cup IMPOSSIBLE.  she doesn't grasp the concept that liquid comes out of a bottle or a sippy cup.  she simply uses both as chew toys.
can anyone help?  has anyone else experienced this?  our pediatrician told us not to put too much pressure on ourselves to make the switch to a sippy cup by a year and to give ourselves a couple of extra months but i'm not sure she will ever get the concept the way it's going now.

1. Chrystal says:

The girl has roots in Illinois. She’ll learn to drink from the bottle as soon as she can see over the bar.

I know it’s easier said then done, but don’t be so hard on yourself! It will happen!

2. Sara T says:

Chrystal’s comment made me laugh HARD! Good One and a good point! ;-)

I agree – don’t put too much pressure on yourself – but i also know from personal experience from my difficult daughter – that is easier said then done….

Katie has not transitioned well to the sippy either…. our dr told us that some kids just don’t take the sippy – and to just go straight to a “big girl” cup with Katie…. well my sitter HATED that idea – and I can admit I am not too keen on it either….. but we have tried it and she does drink better out of it then the sippy – and since we got her to drink out of that she is now doing a little better with the sippy cup. I don’t know if this will help in this case – but might be worth a shot – WARNING – I suggest shirtless or a big waterproof BIB if you go this route! (shirtless for adali – not you!) ;-)

3. Jenn says:

Hi Jamie,
    Lourdes, our oldest, had a tough time transitioning from bottle to sippy. We just introduced the sippy with water and a teensy juice so it was inviting to try and sip out of. She did just chew it for a long time, and eventually the chewing led to small sips which led to learning to use the sippy. Of course getting her to take milk in the sippy was a totally different story, ridiculously long experience. But eventually she’ll take the sippy just let her continue to chew on it, and try different ones out. My girls really liked the nuby ones.

4. Liv C. says:

We made the move to a straw type sippy instead of a regular sippy cup. Teagan had the suck reflex down, she just couldn’t get the whole tipping thing. I bought these straw sippys at babies r us that have a sort of filter on the top so when she sucks hard the juice comes out but it doesn’t spill all over the place. I used that filter to my advantage. I would suck a little juice into the top so when she went to chew on the straw she could taste the sweet and would just naturally suck. After a few days she was using the straw like a pro.

5. Aunt Lindsey says:

I am more interested in the shirt she is wearing :) Hard Rock Cancun!

6. Michelle says:

Hello Miss Baby Adali (although, not a baby much longer!). Looks as though things are going splendid over there on Sydney! Only a couple more weeks and hopefully we’ll be seeing a lot more of the sun…probably not as much you’ll be seeing in GA though.

I wish I had some suggestions for your mama on the whole bottle thing, but unfortunately I don’t. I guess like your ped said, don’t be so hard on yourself (or at least tell your mama that – she’s quite the determined one, isn’t she).

Addison misses you terribly and hopes you’re able to come out of hiding before you leave for GA. Good luck with the sippy cup issue…maybe just keep trying different sippy cups until you find one thats just right for you…like Goldie Locks!

sweeneys

7. Jamie says:

thank you all so much for your suggestions! i plan to try each and every one of them. i did put a little watered down juice in her sippy cup at lunch and she got one little suck out of it. that is progress.

8. Sonya says:

Hey Jamie! It’s Sonya Wohltman Reis from Effingham…..we had a hard time with this with Kayla (our middle one). I suggest trying all kinds of sippy cups like everyone has said including the straw ones. Those definitely worked for Kayla. Also, Kayla had a hard time with the transition from breast milk to cow’s milk. If that happens for you, using all vanilla soy (per our dr suggestion) in the beginning and slowing adding in cow’s milk worked for us. Good Luck!